Sunday, November 25, 2012

I'm back.

Once again, I've returned from a lengthy unscheduled hiatus from blogging.  While I have been kept busy, very little of said business has been art related, therefore, no posts.  Sorry.

Back in October, I participated in an art show with a Muppet theme.  I know, it seems tailor-made for me.  I entered my Fozzie, Electric Mayhem, and Cantus Fraggle portraits.  Although they didn't sell at the show, I got a lot of nice comments and it felt good getting my work in front of eyes.  The Electric Mayhem piece is in another show right now, "Art That Makes Me Smile, II," at the Barefoot Spa just off of Mills near downtown Orlando.  Again, I've heard nice feedback.

To satisfy my interests in documenting the process I use to create art, I have a new project to share.  It is a commissioned piece for Christmas and the only requirements were to mix Muppets and Star Wars.  Considering they are both under the gigantic Disney umbrella nowadays, it isn't much of a stretch.  In fact, Disney has mashup toys at the theme parks and WAAAAAY back during the Muppet Show run, Mark Hamill visited the stage with his "cousin", Luke Skywalker, and R2-D2, C3-P0, and Chewbacca.  I wanted to recreate a classic scene, but one that hasn't been over played.  I see lots of things with Kermit as Luke, Piggy with the cinnamon bun hairstyle, Fozzie as Chewbacca, that kind of thing.  This painting would be different.  Kermit as Han Solo, Rowlf as Chewbacca, Beaker as C3-P0, and, okay, Piggy as Leia, but in a different costume, the one from Hoth.

Let's take a look at the concept sketch:


Nothing too spectacular, just a penciled idea.  I knew I wanted Beaker in the group; I just didn't leave enough room for him.  Here's the scene from the movie:


Coming up next:  The canvas sketch!

No comments: